Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Winter has been slowly approaching for a few weeks around here, but I think it is officially here and here to stay!  I was cold when I got home from work last night and I felt cold all night.  I knew that I would want something warm to eat when we got home tonight, but had little around the house to make a batch of soup.  I did dig up a bag of dried split peas, so I looked around for a recipe for split pea soup.  What I found was a super easy crockpot recipe.  I was able to put it together in just a few minutes this morning before I left for work and it was ready for us when we got home.  My husband said he could smell the soup before he even opened the front door - what a wonderful way to be greeted home!  We both enjoyed the soup and there is plenty of left overs for lunches this week.  The only modification that I made to the recipe was the diced ham, which I didn't have on hand.  I used a frozen pork bone that was in my freezer from when my husband made homemade sausage, which cooked down and added nice flavor.  We figured out that the whole batch of soup cost less than $3 to make!

Find the recipe here, and enjoy on a cold winters day!

No comments:

Post a Comment