Friday, January 11, 2013

Chicken Minestrone Stew


This was a really quick meal to throw in the slow cooker/ crock pot. I bought the ingredients for my last bulk prep day, and then noticed a few days later some extra cans in the pantry. Turns out I ran out of chicken when prepping meals, so I thought I was done, but wasn't. That was okay, because this was easy enough to throw together in the morning before work.

Chicken Minestrone Stew

Adapted slightly from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 lb or 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
3 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes with green chilis
1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes with green pepper and onions (Del Monte)
1 can (15 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
2 whole celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup uncooked pasta
4 Tbsp grated Parmesan
2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped

Preparation:

In slow cooker, combine all ingredients from the chicken breasts to the onion. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

About 30 minutes before you want to eat, shred the chicken. Turn the slow cooker on high. Add the pasta, Parmesan, and spinach to the crock.  Cover and cook about 30 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.

Alterations for next time:

This will definitely be one we make again. Darrin had several bowls for dinner, Annaliese kept asking for more beans, and Ian was hesitant at first, but at most of his. We had enough for all of us to eat it for supper again the following night and for Darrin and I to take some for lunch the day after (two suppers and our lunches out of a few minutes of work = one happy mama!). 

Darrin said it tasted good, but to me it lacked flavor. I think next time I make it, I'll throw in some Italian seasoning and see what I think. I was thinking it would be spicy given the cans of tomatoes, but it definitely isn't.  Even without the seasoning, though, it's a definite keeper (and a great way to sneak in veggies, because we definitely don't eat enough of them around here).

No comments:

Post a Comment