Saturday, January 19, 2013

Nacho Grande Soup

We had this for dinner last night, and I think it will be a family favorite... as long as we have some Tostitos Scoops to eat it with. The flavor was very mild; not overly spicy, which is good because Ian hates anything with too much flavor. It looked a bit like the Velveeta, Rotel's, meat dip that's often served at parties, only watered down.

The recipe calls for either putting it in the crock pot or cooking it on the stove.  I heated it on the stove so it was ready in about 20 minutes. Worked wonderfully!  I'm glad I opted for the stove, as it really didn't make that much; there were no leftovers, and neither of my kids (ages 6 and 3) are big eaters, so basically there was just enough for Darrin and me. I think had I done it in the slow cooker, it would have gotten way too hot/charred.  After the recipe below, I mention a few more changes that I would make next time.

Nacho Grande Soup

Adapted from Six Sisters

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey- it was on sale)
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package taco seasoning (I use low sodium)
1 (10.75oz) can cheddar cheese soup
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1.5 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag tortilla chips (Scoops worked great to eat it with- didn't need a spoon). 

Directions:

In a skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until brown.

Combine meat along with all other ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 3-4 hours (or on the stove for about 20 minutes, or until heated through).

To freeze: 

Cook meat, onions, and garlic as directed above. Once cooled, combine all ingredients in a freezer container except milk. I went back and forth as to whether or not to add the milk at this point. As it turned out, I didn't have enough milk in the carton to put in the recipe, so it made the decision easy for me. From what I've read, milk is okay if frozen, but it didn't add much time to do it now.

To heat, thaw in fridge over night and cook according to the directions above, adding in the milk if you left if out.

Alterations next time: 

I will for sure double this recipe the next time. I always count on at least having enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I always try to sneak in veggies when I cook with a slow cooker, so I will probably add another can of diced tomatoes and chilies, plus a little pumpkin puree (weird, I know, but I have a pumpkin chili recipe and it works in that. Add a bit more spice and you'll never taste it. The soup is pumpkin colored, so you definitely wouldn't see it).  Some black beans and Mexi corn (or regular corn) would work well in this, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment