Monday, February 18, 2013

Cheesy Potatoes and Ham

 
Yummy comfort food. Nothing nutritious about this, but oh, so delicious. I made this once before following the recipe exactly as written on Six Sisters, but thought that it was a bit dry, so I modified it and love it. I've never prepped this one ahead. I buy the items when I'm out shopping for my batch prep and just keep them on hand. Dump it all in the crock in the morning. Oh, and if you have a liner, it would be good to use. The edges tend to get pretty dark and stick to the sides.

Cheesy Potatoes and Ham

adapted from Six Sisters

Ingredients:

1 (30 oz) package hash browns, shredded or cubed (I used a 32 oz bag)
1 Tbsp minced onion (I never have this on hand, just do a couple shakes onion powder or dice some onions)
1 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) container sour cream (I use light)
1 (10.75 oz) can reduced fat cream of chicken
1 (10.75 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked ham (I just dump the whole package you see above in the crock)

Directions:

Combine hash browns and ham in crock. In a separate bowl, combine other ingredients. Dump into crock and stir to combine (I find that if I just stir it all the crock, I end up with clumps of sour cream that don't get mixed in well).

Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours. I can program my crock pot to automatically switch to warm after a certain point, and this does great sitting on warm after it's been on low 6 hours. 

Alterations:

I wouldn't change a thing from how I've already adapted it (getting rid of the stove top and adding cheddar cheese soup).  I'm trying to decide what veggie I could add in there, possibly broccoli, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Rating: scale of 1 (high) to 5 (low)

Ease of Prep: 1   No prep work needed. Just mix and dump.
Yumminess: 1  Darrin and I loved this, Ian too. Annaliese was indifferent, but that's pretty normal.
Amount: 2 There was enough food for us to eat for supper the next night.


No comments:

Post a Comment