Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pizza Meatloaf

DSC_0664blog

I made these for Darrin to take for lunch, and then they smelled so good that I had to make a big loaf for us to eat as a family.  You could freeze this before or after baked. I went with after baked for his lunches, and they reheated really well.

Pizza Meatloaf

Adapted from Once a Month Mom

Ingredients: 

1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 lb ground Italian sausage (I used ground Italian turkey sausage)
8 oz pizza sauce, divided
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine eggs, pepper, salt, bread crumbs, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and oregano. Add in both meats and combine well.

At this point, you have a few options. You could:
1- form into a loaf and freeze.  To bake, thaw in fridge, then bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.
2- place in loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes (I hate how it sits in the grease when you use a loaf pan, so I bake it elevated on my broiler pan so the grease drips through the slots).
3- form into mini-loaves. I think I baked mine for about 30 minutes. To prepare them for Darrin's lunch, I flash froze them, then wrapped them in press 'n seal and put them in a container.

Whichever option you choose, about 10 minutes before it's done, top with remaining pizza sauce. After that time is up, top with remaining mozzarella cheese and return it to the oven until the cheese has melted.

Alterations: 

I thought this tasted really good the way it was. I think the only thing I would change is trying to sneak more veggies in by dicing up some peppers and cooking them for a few minutes on the stove before throwing them into the meat mixture. You could probably throw in some diced Italian tomatoes, too. 

Rating: 

Ease of prep- 2.  Pretty darn easy to prepare- no dicing of veggies or pre-cooking. Just some measuring and mixing.

Yumminess- 3. Not something that was AMAZING, but definitely something I'll make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment